PALIN POLL DRIVES PBS.ORG TO ALL-TIME TRAFFIC RECORD
ARLINGTON, VA, Sept. 24, 2008 - Spurred by an online poll about vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on the "NOW on PBS" site, PBS.org has broken multiple traffic records in the past week, moving it into the first place share of visits among the broadcast networks' Web sites for the week-ending 9/20/2008. (Source: Hitwise)
Here are additional details about recent PBS-related Web traffic records.
- New single-day traffic record set on Monday, September 22nd with more than 2 million visits (Source: Google Analytics)
- PBS.org had 8.2 million visits from 6.5 million unique visitors in the last seven days (9/17 - 9/23/08) (Source: Google Analytics)
- PBS.org received an average of 1.1 million visits per day in the last week (9/17 - 9/23/08) (Source: Google Analytics)
- 7.2 million pageviews on the NOW on PBS' Sarah Palin poll in the last 7 days. (9/17 - 9/23/08) (Source: Google Analytics)
- The recently-launched PBS KIDS GO! video player (http://pbskids.org/go/video/) is already streaming nearly 1 million video clips a week
- According to Hitwise data, PBS.org was the #1 TV website in share of visits among the 6 Broadcast networks for 6 weeks in a row (week-ending May 31 through week-ending July 5, 2008 among a Custom Category) and for the entire month of June 2008. PBS.org was #2 among the broadcast networks for the month of July 2008. During the 2007-2008 TV season, PBS.org's market share of visits among the 6 Broadcast networks increased 25% over the previous season. PBS achieved a #2 ranking in share of visits among Broadcast networks for 4 months in 2008 (January, February, March, and July) and a #1 ranking for 12 weeks so far in 2008.
PBS, with its 356 member stations, offers all Americans - from every walk of life - the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content. Each week, PBS reaches more than 65 million people and invites them to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; hear diverse viewpoints; and take front row seats to world-class drama and performances. PBS' broad array of programs has been consistently honored by the industry's most coveted award competitions. Teachers of children from pre-K through 12th grade turn to PBS for digital content and services that help bring classroom lessons to life. PBS' premier children's TV programming and Web site, pbskids.org, are parents' and teachers' most trusted partners in inspiring and nurturing curiosity and love of learning in children. More information about PBS is available at www.pbs.org, one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.