PBS News [ Back to Press Releases ]
PBS LAUNCHES COMPREHENSIVE PRE-K-12 EDUCATOR WEB SITE: PBS TEACHERS
Thousands of free lesson plans, local and national educator resources, teacher professional development, videos, blogs, and more – www.pbs.org/teachers
Arlington, VA; March 1, 2007 – PBS today unveils one of its most comprehensive Web undertakings in years with the debut of PBS Teachers, PBS’ portal for pre-K-12 educators (www.pbs.org/teachers).
In production for more than a year, PBS Teachers is the front door for all educational resources and services PBS offers, and provides information on effective ways to use media and technology in the school- or home-based learning environment.
The site offers a one-stop resource for educators searching for wide-ranging curriculum resources, video products (Shop for Teachers), online professional development opportunities (PBS TeacherLine) and more.
“With the launch of PBS Teachers, PBS and our local stations will make available an unprecedented array of state-of-the-art resources for educators across the country,” said Mary Kadera, vice president of education. “The breadth of content showcased on the site will be valuable to teachers of all grade levels and subject areas.”
Among the most relevant new and enhanced features of PBS Teachers:
• PBS’ newest blog, “Media Infusion” (www.pbs.org/teachers/mediainfusion), which will showcase ideas for and encourage conversations about using media and technology in the classroom, to be hosted by practicing classroom teachers and ed tech experts.
• Thousands of free standards-based lesson plans, classroom activities, interactive resources and more — organized by subject, grade level, and curriculum topic.
• Hundreds of curriculum resources from local PBS stations — forming a local-national search, combining the best educational resources from around the country.
• Dedicated areas for early childhood educators, library media specialists, and technology coordinators.
• Showcases for public broadcasting’s award-winning video content — including on-demand streaming video from selected PBS programs, customizable local PBS station TV schedules, and Shop for Teachers for purchasing video programs.
• Professional development opportunities for graduate credit and recertification, from PBS TeacherLine.
• Tools for local PBS stations, enabling them to integrate much of PBS Teachers’ content on their local Web sites. (Coming later in March)
• Advanced personalization features, enabling educators to bookmark, annotate, and share the resources they find. (Coming this summer.)
PBS is a private, non-profit media enterprise that serves the nation’s 354 public non-commercial television stations, reaching nearly 90 million people each week through on-air and online content. Bringing diverse viewpoints to television and the Internet, PBS provides high-quality documentary and dramatic entertainment, and consistently dominates the most prestigious award competitions. PBS is the leading provider of educational materials for K-12 teachers, and offers a broad array of other educational services. PBS’ premier kids’ TV programming and Web site, PBS KIDS Online (pbskids.org), continue to be parents’ and teachers’ most trusted learning environments for children. More information about PBS is available at pbs.org, one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.
Kevin Dando, 703/739-5073, firstname.lastname@example.org