Embark on a musical journey around the world with The Silk Road Ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma: Live from Tanglewood, filmed as the Silk Road Ensemble celebrated 15 years together with a summer concert at Tanglewood in Western Massachusetts. This eclectic group brings together distinguished musicians, composers, and performing artists from more than 20 countries around the world to celebrate, explore, and experiment with a wide variety of cultural approaches to musical performances.
“The Silk Road Ensemble helps us to answer the question ‘Who are we and how do we fit in the world?’” says Artistic Director and cellist Yo-Yo Ma. “We came from hometowns around the globe, and what we found is that while we didn’t necessarily have histories in common, we did share a language of music and of culture. Our sense of coming together across time and geography is apparent on stage.”
Premiered Friday, May 9, 2014 at 9/8C.
- Wandering Winds, arr. Cristina Pato, Kojiro Umezaki, Wu Tong, Dong-Won Kim
- Ascending Bird, arr: Siamak Aghaei, Colin Jacobsen
- Xiao Pu An Zhou (Chanting of the Monk Pu'An) Chinese Classical, arr. Wu Man
- Muiñeiras de Ourense e Pontesampaio, arr: Cristina Pato
- Taranta Project, Giovanni Sollima
- Qasida, Dmitri Yanov-Yanovsky
- Shristi, Sandeep Das
- Blue Little Flower, Wu Tong, Li Cang Sang
- Turceasca, Sapo Perapaskero, Taraf de Haidouks,arr: Osvaldo Golijov, Ljova