I, Cringely - The Survival of the Nerdiest with Robert X. Cringely
Search I,Cringely:

The Pulpit
Pulpit Comments
October 20, 2006 -- A Tradition of Empty Boxes
Status: [CLOSED]

Cringely has done it a again! Astounding. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as exciting as all the old Google OS rumors that came from the same information.

Ephilei | Oct 25, 2006 | 5:20PM

I am so glad you switched formats. It looks great and I can bet you will perfect even that over time. You have absolutely made the right move! Good luck and do you have room for an sidekick!?

gregory Haley | Oct 25, 2006 | 5:26PM

Nice Blog

I like the features and the layout...
But don't like the red color, it was better the old green

elviejo | Oct 25, 2006 | 6:19PM

I have to admit I was skeptical about your changing to a blog, but now that I've seen it, I'm relieved. It's still readable and actually looks pretty good.
One thing though, the under construction notice on the main site mentions there will be no column for this Wednesday ... I don't remember the last time I found your column ready on a Wednesday, always seems to be some time Friday... :)

Jeff Power | Oct 26, 2006 | 4:30AM

Mazal tov on the new format! Yay!

PS: I am looking for a girlfriend. Inquire within.

Grumpy Bear | Oct 26, 2006 | 10:35AM

The new website is great, my compliments. Of course behind every great website is a great web master. So my compliments to your web master too!

John | Oct 26, 2006 | 12:31PM

Great redesign!

Jacob Varghese | Oct 26, 2006 | 1:24PM

The redesign looks good, and the comments should prove interesting. But what happened to the poor bullfrog?

Mike Fellers | Oct 26, 2006 | 2:08PM

Nice format!
However, I was getting rather impatient for the redesign, because there is no Flash Player 8 for Linux, so I couldn't watch the movie clip that you had put up because it wouldn't play in 7. :(

Here's to the new site--Cheers!:

Rod Schaffter | Oct 26, 2006 | 2:55PM

Hey Rod...Adobe just released Flash 9 for Linux! SO now you can enjoy your Flash content again!

Jim H | Oct 26, 2006 | 3:22PM

Congrats on yet another sucessful prediction Bob. The redesign isnt too bad either, just a bit too cluttered (read: myspace-y) for my tastes.

Bill C. | Oct 26, 2006 | 3:29PM

I tend to agree with elviejo...I like the change...apart from the colour.

Rod Chambers | Oct 26, 2006 | 4:41PM

I think the Cringely Frog would make a very nice watermark to put in the background of the web site screens.

John | Oct 26, 2006 | 5:05PM

I Ilke the redesign but do miss the frog. One query, when I first tried to access the site ContentBarrier refused me - the reason given was 'Gambling 100%' ! Anyone else had this ? Any explanation?

Giles | Oct 26, 2006 | 5:18PM

Blog is fine. I like the possibility of comments. I agree with someone else that it is a little too cluttered.

However, you kept writing of your resistance to a blog, but never said why. Why?

Dan

Dan | Oct 26, 2006 | 6:00PM

Missing the frog as well.

ssp | Oct 26, 2006 | 7:40PM

A contemporary paraphrase of the old saw about bandwidth: "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 767-200 filled with LD8s!"

fredex | Oct 26, 2006 | 8:29PM

Hey Bob, I just had a thought... you're other post about your new disk drives makes all this talk of portable blackbox data centers much more interesting. What are you thinking?

Peter | Oct 27, 2006 | 4:59AM

I don't get it...after all those years of building the Cringley brand using the frog icon and green color scheme you just throw it out the window?! The need to change to the new format is understandable but you didn't need to throw out the good just to bring in the new.

Bret Kauffmann | Oct 27, 2006 | 7:26AM

frog -> blog Not much change.

But you could stick a low bandwidth version around somewhere.

Bob Gustafson | Oct 27, 2006 | 10:41AM

Bob, I almost had a minor coronary. Are you actually complimenting Sun Microsystems for doing something right? If Sun is putting Niagara I/II CPUs in those black boxes, then they are introducing intellectual property that no one else has. I don't believe that Intel, IBM or Intel have the capabilities (yet) of what the Niagara II CPU can do (which is coming out next year).

steveh | Oct 27, 2006 | 1:00PM

oops, meant:

"...Intel, IBM or AMD..."

steveh | Oct 27, 2006 | 1:01PM

Où est passé la grenouille?

marcv | Oct 27, 2006 | 1:39PM