I, Cringely - The Survival of the Nerdiest with Robert X. Cringely

November 07, 2008 -- Love-Hate
Status: [OPEN] add a comment

I agree

Mya | Nov 07, 2008 | 3:36PM

oops

eek | Nov 07, 2008 | 3:41PM

download file not your best work

nick | Nov 07, 2008 | 3:45PM

Hmmm, not quite a full post?

Eric Walker | Nov 07, 2008 | 3:45PM

guerilla tactics, forcing us to download the podcast?

Dan | Nov 07, 2008 | 3:48PM

If this is a choice, I pick "Hate'...

kfm2000 | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:01PM

A shining example of minimalist communication.

Robet | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:11PM

Hate it. Would rather read than listen.

O | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:13PM

"I invented the friggin' iPod. Have you heard of it?" -- FSJ

Notorious bWg | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:18PM

Maybe Bob's lyw is getting the download.

Ronc | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:18PM

To read the column, click on the Love-Hate link to the right of "The Pulpit"

Richard Taylor | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:21PM

Maybe Steve Jobs ego is overshadowing this pulpit post.

drewby | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:25PM

This has to be true, because if it were fiction no one would believe it.

Ike | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:35PM

So where is Steve going to get a successor from in this model? Recent rumours about his ill health have been unfounded but the massive dependency on one person in such a large company is extremely dangerous.

Mark Hewis | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:50PM

An audio edition of your column is a great idea. I don't know the cost or tech involved, but what about making the audio column available as a podcast? THIS AMERICAN LIFE does this every week as does A PRARIE HOME COMPANION. Even the trance channel's A STATE OF TRANCE has a cast of their show.

This way, iTunes would automatically download the next cast and delete ones that have been listened to automatically. It makes this whole new thing easy.

And, btw, the"spin" you put on the reading is a lot better than the inner voice of you reading the column when I just read it.

Michael Vilain | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:57PM

32 kbps - that seems (and sounds) low. Go with 64 minimum, I'd say...

Joe | Nov 07, 2008 | 4:58PM

Bob thanks for the audio version!!

Jared | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:02PM

I've read this rant twice, and I still can't determine what the author's point is.

Apple is run by a tyrant?
The Pulpit hasn't had new content in a week and I have nothing to say?
I, John Dvorak, being of sound mind... wait, forget that.
Water is wet?
I for one welcome our new ant overlords?

Ken Brockman | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:16PM

And for those of us who are deaf...?

JimEL | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:25PM

I disagree with Michael Vilain's take on your spin. I found myself having to translate what I was hearing into your visual writing style in order to understand it. I kept trying to figure out where your paragraph breaks are. When you write a thoughtful column, you want to give people time to pause and think it over, hm?

Also, you need to get a decent audio engineer to edit this. Your punch-in retakes are obvious and clicky. It took you several passes to get it right, huh?

Dan | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:39PM

Patton is not, in fact, available on iTunes.

J. Blankly | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:50PM

JimEL hit the nail on the head. I am hearing impaired, so podcasts and videos are absolutely useless for me. I even bugged you about your TV series -- maybe closed captioning is what has held that project up for the past two years?

DC | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:53PM

While it is sometimes good to experiment and try new things, there is also something to be said for audience expectations. Was there a reason for not being able to post the article as text in addition to the audio file? Changing one's format is a time-proven method of shedding readership. What is it you were trying to do here, Bob?

iTripped | Nov 07, 2008 | 5:57PM

transcript please.

Dave | Nov 07, 2008 | 6:06PM

That's pretty out of control, Mr Cringely.

You spend a lot of time thinking up very topics. Most of us read these things understanding that, though you're not usually right, you sometimes have an interesting idea.

What you're doing now, though, is a very extreme and misguided rant. This isn't the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson situation. Faddell wasn't forced out during the iPod's early ascendancy, amidst press coverage praising him and spurning Jobs.

Why is it that no one is allowed to leave a company without it being some power-play conspiracy thing?

Ron | Nov 07, 2008 | 6:09PM

Do you think having Papermaster at Apple will ensure Cringely gets NerdTV season 2 out the door before Christmas?

Jerry | Nov 07, 2008 | 6:23PM

"Jobs wants Papermaster to lead Apple’s PA Semi acquisition and create a new family of scalable processors optimized for Snow Leopard and beyond."

While this is possible, for mobile devices (e.g. iPhone, iPod touch and whatever else is in the works.) I don't see Apple abandoning the Intel relationship for desktops and laptops. Enjoying Intel's economies of scale and R&D is working too well. Also, running on X86 lowers the barriers to switchers. (Try the Mac. If you don't like it, you can always switch back on the same hardware.) Snow Leopard reportedly won't even support PPC.

Building low power mobile chips could sit under Papermaster as the head of the iPod division and start day one without competing with blade servers at IBM regardless of the chip architecture that they choose to implement. If they do it well, and it looks like they are building the team to do it well, it will provide a well differentiated mobile product line that can't be matched. Google is mounting a challenge on the s/w side. It's not clear how that will work out. Having a hardware differentiator that the handset makers can't compete with in the pipeline is good insurance if Android becomes a hit.

If you extrapolate from the tens of millions of devices Apple sells today by an order of magnitude or two, the plan starts to make sense.

There is a lot of detail about the inner workings at Apple in this article without a single source. Of course no one is going on the record due to the fear factor mentioned. Having worked at Apple, the fear of stepping out of line is real. And the basic premiss, that Jobs will throw employees under the bus when it suites his purposes is true enough. However, with Fadell locked up to 70K shares of stock, we won't know the real story for quite a while.

Tech Grump | Nov 07, 2008 | 6:26PM

Well, you lost me.
I'm on the Web because I read 800 words per minute. Even people who don''t can usually read faster than they can listen.
Post the text, or it's goodbye.

Bob | Nov 07, 2008 | 7:07PM

Funny. I didn't know you were a chipmunk... At least that's what you sound like the mp3 I got.

Francisco Garcia | Nov 07, 2008 | 7:39PM

Like so many columnists you have been mesmerized by the personality of Steve Jobs, and his ego. You're very wrong thinking the personnel move was due to ego. Of course your barking up the wrong tree is not the first time.

The future of the iPod will be intimately involved with processor design. For that effort to go forward for many years Jobs had to put the right person as head of the hand held division. Apple's future plans required it, period. Read what AT&T just said of the future capabilities of the iPhone to get some of this picture.

There was no appropriate slot for Fadell considering his present status.

REB | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:08PM

There was no appropriate slot for Fadell considering his present status.

REB | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:09PM

This is pretty interesting drama. But isn't it possible that after 6-7 years, one can get tired of even the best IT project? Maybe Tony and Dani have family plans (which are hard to start when you work 60 hours a week)? Since Fadell also interviewed Papermaster, could he and Dani not recommended him to sabotage the company if they were forced out? Or is Jobs so mesmerizing everyone is content to fall on the sword for him?

However, I think the biggest point Bob failed to convince is WHY Papermaster is so good he must be hired. Nothing here offers more insight than any other tech piece this week into Papermaster's pedigree and potential.

"... ipods and blades couldn't be farther apart..." - that does not sound like someone who "Think Different."

Deanston | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:17PM

I am going to give you the benefit of doubt on the accuracy of your sources on this well written column because your "Love Hate" reads like a mini Stephen King novel, Entertaining, and I like Stephen King.

I am especially interested in Apples' plan for the re-introduction of a new Power PC chip and the plate tectonic paced withdrawal from Intel that seems to be occurring now.

IBM and Motorola’s slow MHZ PPC development pace caused Apples move to Intel based processors in the first place, does Apple’s ego need to produce an all Apple designed and built machine or is it just the economics of in house chip production? A topic for a future article perhaps?

Thanks for the insight!

Blue Buzzard | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:36PM

HATE!

Bubba | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:59PM

Please post a transcript.

Thanks

Mark | Nov 07, 2008 | 8:59PM

Great article. Obviously Papermaster's value is in the chip arena and Apple sees a huge future for putting its own chips in the iPhote/iTouch and whenever is next in Apple's ultra portable division. However, I don see why Apple would ever switch back to PowerPC for its desktop or laptop lines. The switch to Intel is part of the reason for the company's current success. Also, producing your own chips make sense for the ipod-type products but not for anything where raw power is important. Sun is bleeding money from its SPARC line. Best leave the performance chips to Intel or AMD.

Scott | Nov 07, 2008 | 9:03PM

Hardly any more brutal than any other big company and Apple and IBM I suspect know how this will play out already just like Apple and Cisco did. You see Microsoft and Sun are the kind of companies that saber rattle, Apple, IBM and Cisco make strategic legal plays

Dave K | Nov 07, 2008 | 9:06PM

I've got the same problem with this story that I've got with a lot of journalism. Too much buildup, too few facts, not well written. Also, just as I don't trust the NY Times, except for movie reviews, or the Washington Post, except for the comics, I don't trust PBS.

thomas Hart | Nov 07, 2008 | 9:25PM

LIKE.

Try it again next time.

keith | Nov 07, 2008 | 9:26PM

I've been reading your column for more what must be close to 15 years. But, I have to say you lost me with this -- literally and figuratively.
RJF

RJ Frost | Nov 07, 2008 | 9:39PM

Where do you get all this theory about Fadell and Jobs, i mean did you get any fact to support your claims? I don't think so right?

Or are you so bored that you did not find anything else to do than spreading fud?

Shall i recall you that Apple issued a press release where it is explained why Fadell wanted to leave Apple and it is also said that Fadell's wife will also leave Apple as both want to devote more time to their young family. And it is also said that Fadell will remain at Apple as an advisor to the CEO. So are you saying that Apple is lying? (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/11/04papermaster.html)

Why do you need to search for a conspiracy theory?

hakime | Nov 07, 2008 | 10:09PM

Transcript please. I would much rather read the article than listen to it. Audio takes much longer than reading the article.

Tom Shadow | Nov 07, 2008 | 11:14PM

This blows. I listen to several podcasts regularly, but they all involve 2 or more people. This is boring, it sounds like someone reading a newspaper article. Cringely is a read, I'd just as soon stop following you Bob, than listen to another column read aloud. Chalk this one up as an experiment that went down in flames.

Dean Stacey | Nov 07, 2008 | 11:36PM

I can read. I don't need you to do it for me.

mendel krutz | Nov 07, 2008 | 11:59PM

hakime -- You've not spent any time at high corporate levels. There's no more, and likely less, truth than govt. press releases.

When a company (read "CEO") wants someone gone, you will NEVER see the inside story in print.

Like Rumsfeld left to spend more time with his family -- just after the Democrats took Congress. Yeah, right.

jj | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:09AM

I was under the impression when writers read their own material publicly, they were looking to get laid. So you want to cyber snap your bean? I'm coming !

cybersloet | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:25AM

Fail. I prefer different kinds of information presented in different formats.

When it comes to technology news I'm prone to stopping mid-article to hit Google if there are concepts or companies I want to know more about. That becomes highly inconvenient when the information is presented via audio - with or without a pause button. Cut & paste is a stable of googling new subjects.

If you provide a readable version of the this column I will read it. However I have no plans to start downloading content in a format I am not interested in.

No way! | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:57AM

Can I have a transcript, please? It's a good courtesy for the hearing impaired who've been enjoying your column up until now.

spriteless | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:59AM

OK, found the transcript at another link on the front page, but that was confusing. not user friendly at all. :(

spriteless | Nov 08, 2008 | 1:07AM

Hello Bob,
long time reader (since 2000 anyway) first time commenter... Sorry my first comment has to be negative. I think I have to agree with some of the other posters here. I do listen to podcasts but I have to admit that your article is something I'd rather have available in print. I can search for content in a text version, with an audio file I have to guess where you made that spectacular prediction about some new google technology, I even have to guess which file. The old way I could search your archives and fairly quickly find what I was looking for. It's way easier to retrieve and share ideas in some form of print media than what you're doing now. Plus I could read your article while my kids were drifting off to sleep without having to put on headphones. I will probably start downloading your mp3's if that's what you stick with but the information will become more transient to me. Anyway, I enjoy your content even if the format is less flexible.

Neal | Nov 08, 2008 | 2:08AM

I stared my career at Apple and was there from 2003-2005. I never interacted with Steve Jobs, but I did with Tony Fadell a couple times. I think back then, his team was only around 20-30 people.

What is amazing about the Tony Fadell story, is he managed to go from contractor to Manager to Director to Senior Director to V.P. to Senior V.P. in five years. I remember hearing rumors at least twice during the time I was at Apple that Fadell threw tantrums and put in his resignation if he did not get promoted. I even remember they even had a going-away party for him once when people thought he was really leaving.

I think people that know Fadell would tell you it's amazing he stayed (or survived; depending on viewpoint) at Apple for a full consecutive seven years stretch.

Even though the author of this article does not have facts, I think he is dead on. I think it is very possible that Jobs wanted to strategically hire PaperMaster to oversee the PA Semi integration as he saw it as the cornerstone of Apple's future mobile product developments. Fadell most likely saw this as a threat to his power and gave another ultimatum and Jobs finally called his bluff this time.

What I am very much interested to see is whether Fadell can be successful without the Apple marketing machine and talent behind him in his next product development. Before his success at Apple, he seemed very good at hustling to get in the spotlight, but never was able to really succeed. I know he has a giant chip on his shoulder now. It should be interesting.

I don't think he can do much worse than the guy's footsteps he is now following (Jon Rubenstein at Palm).

RP | Nov 08, 2008 | 3:09AM

I had a personal friend who was directly involved in the creation of the Lisa computer. One of his stories directly supports the likelihood of this unwinding tale. I trust Cringly in knitting together rumor and fact to create a plausible scenario.

Thomas | Nov 08, 2008 | 8:28AM

I agree with the others who deem it unlikely that Apple would divorce Intel on the Mac platform, simply because BootCamp gives Macs a strategic edge over all other PCs: 'You can run any OS on a Mac.' Steve Jobs would no doubt hate to admit this publicly, but he is savvy enough as a businessman to acknowledge it.

On the other hand, Jobs is also an A-1 negotiator, and with AMD on the ropes, it would be very nice indeed to be able to bluff Intel with the PPC chips, 'Which we make ourselves, and if you don't lower your prices and give us special deals and considerations, we will start by using PA Semi PPC chips to power OUR netbook and tablet line, and show the world that Atom ain't so great.'

Jobs is also worried about Psystar and other potential cloners, if that case does not go Apple's way. Snow Leopard can use not only multiple CPUs more effectively, it can also use GPUs to help out the main processing. A PPC 'co-processor' of some sort would, like the original Mac ROM chip, allow Apple to develop an OSX that would not run on any motherboard that lacked this Apple-only chip.

I do expect that Apple would like a slate tablet 'iPod grande' not so much as a PC but as a iTunes movie-watcher and iPod Games-player, with 720P resolution. This just isn't possible on today's chips (unless you forego portability and tether it as plug-only), so that's where I see the PA Semi acquisition coming in. A netbook would fit in with this model, so putting Papermaster in charge of iPod division makes sense. His job will be to guide the PA Semi team in designing chips to power the Apple slate and netbook, as well as iPod Touch and iPhone.

pond | Nov 08, 2008 | 8:59AM

I loved listening to the podcast while reading the transcript. Compression artifacts in the mp3 file were prominent but tolerable. Consider putting the transcript and podcast in the same post. Great job.

Phil Atio | Nov 08, 2008 | 11:39AM

I don't do podcasts.

rex | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:02PM

A lot of times I read this on my phone. I'm not going to listen to an mp3 version. My laptop is connected to the internet through T-mobile using said phone. The connection is too slow to download mp3 files.

Brian Stanaland | Nov 08, 2008 | 12:21PM

Bob, a hugely entertaining article that for once is much better on the podcast. 100% true or not, it's a terrific tale. You are beginning to broadcast like Garrison Keillor, and I think that is just great. You are hitting your stride again! Adam

AdamD | Nov 08, 2008 | 3:09PM

There is an opportunity for higher-performance mobile chips; the ARM architecture seems to be stalling. Low-power PPCs, like the Gecko used in the GameCube (and Wii?) could be the future of mobile computing.

Rick | Nov 08, 2008 | 7:33PM

I agree. I never comment, but I feel I have to in hopes you will abandon this format, or at least post a transcript simultaneously. I usually print out and read the column. I have no interest in listening to the podcast. I haven't listened to this one and won't.

Skip | Nov 08, 2008 | 7:46PM

Sorry Bob, I'm one of those hearing impaired guys too, I can only do the transcript.

jaycee | Nov 08, 2008 | 8:00PM

I was a bit perplexed at first by the need to "connect to file." However, I had nearly forgot the pleasure of being read to. For the non hearing impaired with DSL or cable connections this is an excellent way to receive the column. Yet I would have naturally selected the written column initially. I suspect the reason for audio first is to force listeners/ readers past their inertial bias and try something new. I believe you should post a transcript simultaneously after you have tried this a few times. Force us to "Drink the Cool-Aid" - most will be hooked after the first swig.

Trent | Nov 08, 2008 | 8:26PM

Please bring back the transcripts. I can read it a LOT faster than I can listen to it. Hell, I wasn't even aware that there WAS a podcast until now. If you want to make the podcast available fine, but if the transcripts don't come back, I won't be coming back either.

Randolph Martens | Nov 08, 2008 | 8:59PM

Agree. While I like the podcast format OK, it takes 3-4 times to sit and listen to it as to read it, and is not feasible for me to do so at work.

Brandon | Nov 08, 2008 | 9:02PM

Bobby

I'll stick my central-Ohioan neck out and say that, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast format. Your vocal inflections and comic timing add nicely to the insights and impact of the column. Keep it coming homeboy.

- Russ

russ stauffer | Nov 08, 2008 | 9:47PM

Can't listen it takes to long please bring back
the transcript......... thanks on the behalf of
the old folk who still likes reading.

otto | Nov 08, 2008 | 10:52PM

I say post it as text and get PBS to add a "text to speech" option like Youtube.

If Nerd TV season 2 doesn't show up soon I nominate it for top 10 vaporware of 2008, it's been over TWO YEARS since the last episode of season one.

Either release what you have now, or let it die on the table, or give us some more detail about why it is taking so long. Loved the first season, dying for the second.

Graham | Nov 08, 2008 | 11:53PM

Yes, podcast only sucks.

Transcript, transcript, transcript.

I came here to read your weekly column, not listen to it.

Looking forward to your next text column.

Thank you.

Jeff Power | Nov 09, 2008 | 12:05AM

Mark,

You are so full of shit, the whites of your eyes have turned brown. Tony Fadell isn't even leaving Apple. He's cutting back on the 70-hour weeks because he's got small children and he wants to spend more time with them. He worked like hell, got rich, and now he and his wife are going to enjoy it.

Your soap-opera fantasy really makes you look ridiculous.

-jcr

John C. Randolph | Nov 09, 2008 | 12:51AM

LOVE the column
HATE podcasts

pradeep | Nov 09, 2008 | 4:01AM

I don't have sound on my PC - discriminating against deaf readers!

Jim Perry | Nov 09, 2008 | 4:45AM

Whether Jobs is an egomaniac or a megalomaniac or even a psychotic sociopath, I'd still love to work at Apple. Everyone wants to be valued for their intelligence and their contributions. Working for IBM has to be like the squirrel on the treadmill putting one foot in front of another and getting nowhere. IBM likely will lose their lawsuit. Non compete clauses are touchy and so open to interpretation.

It is interesting that Apple bought a semiconductor company. What's more bizarre is that it makes PowerPC chips. The very chip that Apple dumped. How long of a development time will there be to get what Steve wants out of a chip? How long will it be before Apple spins off that acquisition into a separate entity? I guess we'll have to see what happens. What about a replacement for Steve? He's not part cyborg and has a limited lifespan... Will he pull a Balmer?

Mondrain | Nov 09, 2008 | 9:20AM

Hate. If you want to post a link to an audio file, that's OK, but don't hide the link to the text file unless you want to lose all your readers. Why you even thought this was a good idea defies all reason.

w | Nov 09, 2008 | 9:20AM

You can read the text version of the column here:

MJK | Nov 09, 2008 | 11:17AM

"What is amazing about the Tony Fadell story, is he managed to go from contractor to Manager to Director to Senior Director to V.P. to Senior V.P. in five years"

That's not unheard of for Apple. Scott Forstall, Jeff Robbin, and several other VPs at Apple have made similar progress. Jeff was writing iTunes code and reporting to Tony in 2002.

-jcr

John C. Randolph | Nov 09, 2008 | 11:43AM

Why is the heading for two topics the same? Why not make one of them "Love-Hate Audio"?

Well, the heading is "Survival of the Nerdiest", so I guess that explains it.

Richard Steven Hack | Nov 09, 2008 | 6:05PM

I think it's safe to say that Apple and IBM are two extremes in terms of management style. Personally, I'd rather have a different path because I don't like living in fear (Apple) or spinning my wheels (IBM).

Big Mike | Nov 09, 2008 | 10:06PM

Very confusing blog entry this time.

Based on the other comments, I presume it is 2 versions of the same story but I am conditioned NOT to click a link to "download file...." when I expect read a blog. I still haven't clicked in the link.

My first reaction was the site had been hacked.

If it is an mp3 of the Jobs story it is a very lazy way to present it. Why not link it at the top of the original story?

Very confusing | Nov 10, 2008 | 5:49AM

ps: I also got a 404 when I posted the last comment... however in spite of that, my comment made it through..

as I hope this one does.

Still confused | Nov 10, 2008 | 5:53AM

Is this the start of Nerd TV series 2 Bob's been talking about for, oh, years?

Doh! You forgot the pictures!

Nick T | Nov 10, 2008 | 8:28AM

Reading is so much better. You can take in the information at the speed that you want, and can reread a sentence effortlessly. I fell asleep listening to the sound file, but have never fallen asleep reading your collumn.

steve | Nov 10, 2008 | 9:53AM

There are days when I'd love to be a fly on at Apple.

Assuming Steve is in good health. Age is catching up on him. At some point he and Apple need to start seriously thinking about succession planning.

Maybe this was part of a bigger plan for life after Jobs in Apple. Maybe it is not and maybe it was a step in the wrong direction.

Apple's board and Steve need to find and cultivate a person or team of people who can replace Steve.

John | Nov 10, 2008 | 2:39PM

"Spinning my wheels (IBM)."

The lucky people at IBM actually get wheels to spin. In my case I am trying to start a car engine with a rope as the starter is missing. Others on my team are looking for some wheels that will fit. You'd be amazed much scavenging one has to do just to get to the point where one can spin one's wheels.

Pray for us.

John | Nov 10, 2008 | 3:01PM

In light of all this, it is interesting watching things play out in court as IBM attempts to enforce its non-compete agreement.

Ray | Nov 10, 2008 | 3:12PM

@john

Companies don't publish their succession plans until they need to. No one outside of apples board knows if they have a succession plan or not. So it's ridiculous for you to make a statement on that fact.

The problem with publishing the plan in a circumstance like this, where Jobs is not planning to stand down, is it will constantly be needing to be revised as things change. It also commits apple to a certain course of action which would be embarrassing if the board wanted to make a U-turn.

Raymond | Nov 11, 2008 | 6:58AM

Apple's success IS because of Steve Jobs.

If you don't believe it can you describe the years AFTER Steve was booted out by the then head honcho Mr. Pepsiwater?

I have worked and made my living with Apple computers from 1986 to today INCLUDING the Steve Job-less years. And those Job-less years were the worst, and near demise of Apple. A barren wasteland of lack of innovation. Beige boxes. Loss of mass user base. Steve returns and hmmmm.......what happened? Revival, success, profits, innovation and stead increase of user base.

Credit where credit is due. Hopefully if something happens to Steve he has equipped Apple with the right people to carry on at this point. Time will tell. Last time, it didn't work so well, but maybe all have learned from that and more creative insightful people (those you speak of) will be put into play when the time comes.

MacRaven | Nov 11, 2008 | 1:31PM

So, Cringely, your evidence for all of these assertions about the reasons Fadell was fired is??

Oh I see. You have no evidence at all. Your entire argument is based on ascribing a motive first and then interpreting everything in light of that motive.

This is like a page-long essay that jumps from thesis to conclusion without a body in between. You fail high school English.

DBL | Nov 11, 2008 | 1:39PM

Most entertaining article I have read since Fake Steve Jobs died. Great. 90% BS, but very fun. Thanks.

jobsguy | Nov 11, 2008 | 3:13PM

Do you really get paid to write this crap. The internet were stupidity is a option.

dougr | Nov 11, 2008 | 4:55PM

From the comment rules...

"1. No profanity or personal attacks, please."

Clearly doesn't apply to the article itself, though.

Daniel | Nov 11, 2008 | 7:15PM

Very interesting reading but I have to know if you have inside sources that tell you these things, or if you are just making this stuff up.

I have been reading your columns for a long time now, and I almost never see you say "according to my sources..."

jbella | Nov 11, 2008 | 8:27PM

Blockbuster and Adobe are at fire sale prices. I guess neither is part of the Grand Plan for Apple after all. And neither is Tivo, either.

Kevin Kunreuther | Nov 12, 2008 | 7:19PM

lol @ anyone who thinks they can take apple on=P

if i were apple i wouldnt question the will of the dude thats paying my bills either=P

Millay | Nov 12, 2008 | 10:57PM

Don't think Jobs and Apple can do it. Jobs ain't no Akio Morita. I doubt Papermaster is either.

Blobiblarch | Nov 12, 2008 | 11:41PM

Oh, yea. To quote Patton: "All glory is fleeting."

Blobbiblarch | Nov 12, 2008 | 11:43PM

Oh yea. In Bob's defense, I sometimes listen to his column with a text-to-speech utility while I do the dishes.

Blobbiblarch | Nov 12, 2008 | 11:59PM

I am not so sure that all of Cringely's predictions will come true. I think he is correct that Apple will use its own chip making capability as a bargaining chip in the future. I would be nice to have more details on just how Apple can pull off a CPU that can compete with Intel's or IBM's.

It is a shame that Jobs is not thinking about Apple after his tenure. He ought to realize that he can't live forever. One does wonder, however, if Jobs manages to keep all the power not because he's the smartest guy, but because nobody else can maneuver as well as he can. This is why iPod/iTMS is so successful. It's a great combination for sure, but it's succeeding because the rest of the players can't get their acts together.

Payam Minoofar | Nov 14, 2008 | 5:36PM

the reason for the love hate is due to many people who think that they have something better.

Nick | Nov 22, 2008 | 8:11PM