- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 passion fruits, halved
- Garnish: whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Draw four 4-inch circles or one 8-inch circle onto a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer parchment, traced side down, to a baking sheet.
- Whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt with a mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With machine running, add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Sprinkle in vinegar, cornstarch, and vanilla; whisk until just combined.
- With a rubber spatula, mound meringue onto parchment in center of circle or circles. Evenly spread meringue toward edges. Transfer to oven, and immediately reduce temperature to 200 degrees. Bake until meringue lifts off parchment easily, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn off oven. Let meringue cool completely in oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Once meringue is cool and completely dry, scoop out passion fruit over tops. Garnish with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
If making individual pavlovas, scoop out bottoms of each, and fill with passion fruit or raspberry sorbet.
Try this pavlova recipe from Martha Stewart from the meringue episode of Martha Bakes on PBS Food.