- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- ½ red onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of olive oil (divided)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, 2 tsp of olive oil, lemon juice and tahini. Blend well and scoop out into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat up 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add the onions and jalapeno and sauté for about six minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute until toasty and fragrant. Add coriander and tumeric and mix well.
- Add onion mixture to the chickpea mixture and stir well to combine. Add the salt, egg white and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in the same skillet as before. Form patties with the chickpea mixture and fry for about three-four minutes per side, until golden and crunchy. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve falafel burgers in warm whole wheat pitas with tahini sauce, hot sauce and sliced red onion.
Yield: 6 burgers