Japanese Potato Salad
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes (800g), peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise, then cut into ¼” pieces
- 1 Japanese or Lebanese cucumber* (100g), thinly sliced
- 1/4 onion (60g), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (preferably Kewpie)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- black pepper to taste
- 4-5 slices ham (80g), chopped
- Put the potatoes and carrots in a pot and add water until covered by 1” of water. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook the potatoes until they are very soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat evenly with salt and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and add the hot potatoes to the mayonnaise mixture. Use a large spoon or wooden paddle to stir, mashing up the potatoes as you go.
- Use your hands to squeeze as much liquid out of the onions and cucumbers as you can—the more water you remove, the crunchier the vegetables will be. Add the cucumbers, onion, and ham to the potato mixture and stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 2 servings