Vivian judges the Southern Sides competition at the annual BBQ Festival alongside Mrs. Scarlett and Ms. Lillie, who prove to be finicky judges. Vivian follows up with a take on the BBQ plate, featuring a crispy potato salad. When the Avett Brothers stop by the restaurant for dinner, the entire staff, including Vivian, serve up a side of girly giddiness.
Vivian’s Featured Recipe
- 5 pound bag of red potatoes
- 3-4 boiled eggs
- 1.5 Teaspoons of Durkees
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3-4 serving spoons of mayo
- 1 small onion (you’ll need about a ½ cup)
- Sweet salad cubes (you’ll need about 2/3 cup)
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Bring salted water to a boil in a large stock pot. Toss the potatoes into the boiling water. Boil until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. While the potatoes are boiling, bring a smaller sauce pan of water to a boil. Boil 3-4 eggs. Once the eggs are done, take them out of the water and set them aside.
- Finely dice 1 small onion. Dice 2 stalks of celery. Peel the boiled eggs. Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them in a colander and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add approximately 1 cup of sweet salad cubes to the potatoes.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of Durkees. Add 3-4 serving spoons of mayo. Add in the onions, approximately ½ cup. Dice the eggs or use a cheese grater to add in the eggs. Once all of your ingredients have been added to the potatoes, use a large spoon to incorporate everything. Mix while potatoes are still hot. It’s important to mix from the bottom of the bowl. Be sure not to overmix.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate when cool.
Vivian visits her friend Nancy for a surprisingly comforting combination of homemade pickles, chicken salad, and chocolate cake. Ben and Vivian audition a new chef to offer Ben some relief and much-needed time to focus on his art. Premiered September 26. Check local listings. Continue
Matt from Crooked Fence Produce shows Vivian how to make “the best pickled beets she ever ate.” Vivian incorporates beets into an unconventional chocolate cake in honor of Ms. Mary’s 89th birthday party. There’s no telling how Ms. Lillie will respond. Premiered October 10. Check local listings. Continue
After a visit from “The Honey Man,” Vivian turns up the heat on a dish that features chicken livers drizzled with hot honey. While Ben preps for his art show in Durham, Vivian descends upon “the Bull City’s” restaurant row to sample sweet, honey-themed dishes. Premiered October 25. Check local listings. Continue
Lillie shows Vivian three different ways to bring out the bitter and the sweet in rutabagas. Vivian showers her team with thoughtful holiday gifts as they prepare a New Year’s menu that blends Italian and Eastern North Carolinian influences. Premiered October 31. Check local listings. Continue
Vivian’s plate runneth over as her tour of Charleston continues. A highlight is the high-energy and very popular Waffle House Smackdown. Frank Lee, “The Mayor of Charleston,” invites Vivian to his home and schools her on the proper way to open a clam and the secret to his aunt’s decadent clam hash. Premieres November 14. Check local listings. Continue
After some initial hiccups, Vivian’s whole cow program finds its groove. Mrs. Scarlett shows her how to make a classic cubed steak, inciting an epic tantrum from Flo. Vivian nervously heads to New York to meet her new editor as work on her upcoming cookbook continues. Premieres November 21. Check local listings. Continue