TAfter a visit from “The Honey Man,” Vivian turns up the heat on a dish that features chicken livers drizzled with hot honey. While Ben preps for his art show in Durham, Vivian descends upon “the Bull City’s” restaurant row to sample sweet, honey-themed dishes.
Vivian’s Cooking Adventure
Vivian’s Featured Recipe
Sticky Honey Peanut Cake
- For Cake:
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups fine biscuit/cake crumbs
- 1 ½ cups finely ground roasted peanuts
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3T cider vinegar
- For Syrup:
- ¾ cup honey
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously butter a 9” cake pan and reserve
- In a small bowl combine salt, cinnamon, biscuit/cake crumbs and peanuts and reserve
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients for cake and whisk until very smooth and eggs are aerated
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake just pulls away from sides and tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine syrup ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cook on medium heat until thick, about 12 minutes. Reserve.
- Allow cake to cool 10 minutes. Using a skewer or small straw, poke holes in cake.
- Lightly brush with warm syrup, using it all. Allow to cool another 10-15 minutes
- before inverting to remove from pan. The cake can be served warm or room temp, excellent with whipped cream, ice cream, or a light custard sauce. Garnish with rough chopped roasted peanuts.
Tips/TechniquesRecipe is courtesy of Phoebe Lawless, from the Scratch Bakery in Durham, NC.
Yield: Makes one 9” cake
Vivian visits her friend Nancy for a surprisingly comforting combination of homemade pickles, chicken salad, and chocolate cake. Ben and Vivian audition a new chef to offer Ben some relief and much-needed time to focus on his art. Premiered September 26. Check local listings. Continue
Matt from Crooked Fence Produce shows Vivian how to make “the best pickled beets she ever ate.” Vivian incorporates beets into an unconventional chocolate cake in honor of Ms. Mary’s 89th birthday party. There’s no telling how Ms. Lillie will respond. Premiered October 10. Check local listings. Continue