Premiered November 4 on PBS. Check your local listings.
Vivian heads to NYC where her book launch means a full itinerary. A celebration dinner at Bon Appétit Kitchen follows her appearance on the Rachael Ray Show where Vivian finds that a shot of bourbon goes a long way. Back at the shop, Ben and crew ready the food truck for its first stop in Nashville. While there, a lack of rain leads Vivian on a challenging hunt for broccoli.
Join the Conversation | #AChefsLife
The Picnic Cafe’s Broccoli Salad
Kathy Bonnet, owner of The Picnic Cafe in Nashville, Tenn., shared the recipe for her classic broccoli salad and the secret to her dressing: make the dressing the night before so the sugar can dissolve and the dressing will not be grainy. If not serving immediately, wait to add the bacon so it stays crispy.
This recipe is featured in the WANTED: Broccoli episode of Season 5 of A Chef's Life.
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 3 medium broccoli heads, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 green onions, white and tender green parts, chopped
- ½ cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 3 to 5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, about ½ cup
- 1 cup golden raisins
- The night before, combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Stir to fully combine and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Combine broccoli, green onions, sunflower seeds, bacon and raisins in a large bowl. Pour over dressing. Stir to fully coat.