Fresh Tomato Salsa
Make your own salsa instead of dipping your chips into a jar version.
- 1 1/2 lbs. plum tomatoes (6 to 8) cored, halved, and seeded
- 1/2 medium red onion minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chile (ribs and seeds removed for less heat if desired), minced
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Coarse salt
- Tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- Chop tomatoes into 1/4-inch pieces; transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add onion, chile, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice; season generously with salt. Mix to combine.
- Let stand 15 minutes to develop flavor.
Salsa can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours.
To store, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.