Recipe courtesy of AUNI, the Agaston Urban Nutrition Initiative
When Michele Obama challenged American schools to create healthy cafeteria recipes for a national competition, many Philadelphians sprang into action. WHYY Friday Arts chronicles the coming together of numerous forces, including chef Daniel McLaughlin, the non-profit AUNI, the Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative, and the Philly children and teens who participate in AUNI's cooking clubs, to create a delicious and healthy menu that any school would be proud to serve.
Photo Credit: Flickr
- 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime –juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup onion – diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro - chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes - diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic - minced
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch cumin (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt.
- Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in optional spices.
- Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings