Cranberry Relish in Orange Baskets
A creative way to display and enjoy cranberry relish.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12-ounce package whole cranberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 8 medium oranges, rinsed, for baskets
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the water and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until the sugar dissolves completely. Add the cranberries and bring the mixture back to a boil, stirring frequently until the cranberry skins burst and the mixture thickens.
- Remove the cranberry sauce from the heat, stir in the orange zest and orange juice, and set the mixture aside to cool. When the sauce has cooled, transfer it to a bowl, cover, and chill. Cranberry sauce may be made two days ahead.
- To create the orange baskets, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each orange to prevent it from rolling. Slice a wedge from the upper left and upper right sides of the orange, leaving a ½-inch-wide “handle” in the center for each basket. Using a paring knife, carefully remove the pulp under the “handle” and discard. With a small spoon or curved grapefruit knife, scrape the pulp from the interior of each orange basket and reserve for another use.
- Cover the orange baskets with plastic wrap and chill until shortly before serving. To serve, fill each basket with cranberry relish and place them around the turkey as a garnish.
Yield: 8 cranberry relish baskets