James T. Barker of Missouri submitted this recipe for our Healthy Eating Contest.
James T. Barker describes his recipe:
Why is this recipe healthy? Look at the ingredients! There is nothing artificial in this recipe and it is delicious. If you serve this salad, you better have several copies of the recipe printed out because your guests will ask you for it.
- 1 medium bunch of kale
- Dressing Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp - Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp - Agave Nectar or honey
- 1 Tsp - Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp - Sea salt
- 1½ Tsp - Garlic powder
- ¼ to ⅛ Tsp - Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 Tbsp (more or less) - Sunflower seeds
- First, prepare the dressing: Combine the olive oil, agave nectar or honey, sea salt, garlic powder, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper (optional). Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Second, prepare the kale: Clean the kale and remove all the stems from the kale. Be sure to thoroughly clean the kale because the curly leaves easily trap dirt and other debris. Also, dispose of any tough or leathery leaves.
- Chop, shred, or tear the kale leaves into bite size pieces, about 1" pieces.
- Third, mix the dressing and the kale: Pour the dressing over the kale leaves and make sure they are thoroughly coated. (You can do this in the bowl you plan to serve the salad in; or, better yet, a separate bowl.) This salad tastes better if you let it marinate for a few hours after making it, but don't let it marinate too long or the leaves will become mushy. If you do marinate it, be sure to cover the bowl.
- Put the salad in a serving bowl and sprinkle the sunflower seeds over it. Serve and enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours
Yield: 4 servings