Roasted Root Vegetables with Kale
Frank Vaughan of West Virginia submitted this recipe for our Healthy Eating Contest.
Frank Vaughan describes her recipe:
This delicious recipe contains a variety of carotenoids, antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber. The quinoa provides protein.
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons Ginger
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 large acorn squash
- 1 medium turnip
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thyme
- Balsamic vinegar (for drizzling)
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- olive oil
- Quinoa (optional)
- Sesame seeds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Coarsely chop peeled ginger. Peel and clean butternut and acorn squash. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Peel Turnip and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Combine squashes, turnip and ginger. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Add rosemary and thyme. Mix Thoroughly.
- Spread vegetable mixture onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for approximately 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning once or twice as necessary.
- Meanwhile, prepare quinoa (if using) according to package directions.
- Towards the end of the roasting time, saute kale pieces in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Layer quinoa on a bed of kale and top with roasted squash and turnips. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and generously drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve hot.
Tips/TechniquesAny variety of winter squash works well as does sweet potato, although cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings