Zesty Quinoa Salad
Mary Marlowe Leverette of South Carolina submitted this recipe for our Healthy Eating Contest.
Mary Marlowe Leverette describes her recipe:
Quinoa is a healthy whole grain high in fiber, calcium, phosphorus and iron. The oranges and lemon juice add a kick of Vitamin C and fiber. This recipe uses olive oil, a healthy monounsaturated oil with antioxidants. The combination offers a hearty salad that is packed with flavor and healthy ingredients.
- 1 pound quinoa
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 orange, segments divided and cut into bite sized pieces
- Zest of one orange
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Place grains in a large pot and add one quart water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook 20 minutes until the grains are translucent and the water is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm quinoa with the onion, parsley, mint, oranges, orange zest, jalapenos, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Toss to mix. Salt if needed. Delicious served warm or cold.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings