Join Martha as she shares the culinary tricks of the trade to coaxing the utmost flavor from your baked good—bake it dark! In this episode, Martha shares four tantalizing recipes, including sticky toffee pudding served with a toffee sauce, mini apricot tarte Tatins, a simple pear tart, and no-knead bread chock-full of flavorful seeds.
Watch This Week’s Baking Tip
Martha Stewart pokes holes in pudding cake to absorb more toffee sauce and keep it more moist.
This Week’s Recipe
No-Knead Seeded Overnight Bread
Martha Stewart makes this No-Knead Seeded Overnight Bread recipe in the Bake It Dark episode of Martha Bakes.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons rapid rise (or instant) yeast
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds, preferably golden
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 ½ cups cold water, plus more for sprinkling
- ¼ cup sugar
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Stir together flours, oats, salt, yeast and 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds and 2 tablespoons each of the remaining seeds in a large bowl. Whisk together water and sugar, then stir into dry ingredients. Brush top of dough with a thin layer of oil; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature, until doubled in bulk, 12 to 18 hours.
- Brush the inside of a large Dutch-oven with oil, then dust with 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Dust work surface with whole wheat flour. Stir dough to deflate, then quickly knead into a ball on work surface and place in the prepared pot. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour. Use your hands to smooth it evenly over the entire surface of the dough. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon each of all seeds. Cut an “X” on top of the dough. Cover with lid and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees with rack in lower third position. Lightly sprinkle top of bread with water, cover, then place in oven and reduce heat to 450 degrees. Bake until browned, about 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake for 15 minutes more. Cool in pot on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pot and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: Makes 1 large round loaf
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com:
- Pear Tart
- No-Knead Seeded Overnight Bread
- Mini Apricot Tartes Tatin
- Caramelized Skillet Peaches
- Sticky Toffee Pudding with Toffee Sauce