Biscuits and scones are the perfect way to start the day; with Martha’s recipes and tips, they’re easy to make anytime. Learn how to make buttermilk biscuits, angel biscuits and cream scones. If it looks easy, that’s because it is — the key is actually to work the dough as little as possible.
Watch a Preview
Biscuits and scones are the perfect way to start the day.
Watch This Week’s Baking Tip
Martha Stewart discusses the superiority of organic eggs.
This Week’s Recipe
These savory herb-buttermilk biscuits have dill, chives, and rosemary baked right inside.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
- 4 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, rosemary, and/or chives (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well shaken, plus more for brushing tops
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with racks set in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Transfer half of the dry ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, with some larger pieces still remaining. Return this mixture back to the bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients. Add herbs, if using, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center and gradually add buttermilk, stirring with a fork or wooden spoon until large clumps form; do not allow a dough to form in the bowl. Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface, and using lightly floured hands, knead two or three times just until a dough forms.
- Pat dough into an 8-by-8-inch square. Using a sharp knife, cut 2-inch square biscuits, or use a 2-inch round cutter, and transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush tops with buttermilk. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesThis buttermilk biscuits recipe appears in the "Biscuits and Scones" episode from Martha Bakes.
Yield: Makes eighteen 2-inch biscuits
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com including: