Watch a Preview
Follow along as Martha shares her expertise on how to make three lovely celebration cakes, including a four-layer génoise cake with passionfruit buttercream, an orange-almond cake with Italian meringue buttercream piping, and an unforgettable chocolate-rum roulade.
Watch This Week’s Baking Tip
Whisk sugar and eggs in a glass bowl and place over simmering water and continue to whisk to allow the sugar to dissolve. Then beat in mixer at medium speed for about four minutes until it is thick and pale yellow.
This Week’s Recipe
Génoise Cake with Passion Fruit Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Martha Stewart's recipe for génoise cake with passion fruit Swiss meringue buttercream appears in the "Cakes" episode of season 2 of Martha Bakes.
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Passion-Fruit Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack set in the lower third. Spray a 9-by-3-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; line pan with a parchment paper round and spray again. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour butter into a large bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind; stir in vanilla and keep warm (110 to 120 degrees).
- Lightly whisk together eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer; set mixer over (but not touching) simmering water and heat, whisking constantly, until lukewarm to the touch. Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until light, airy, and quadruple in volume, at least 5 minutes. Whisk 1 cup egg mixture into warm melted butter mixture; set aside.
- Sift together flour and cornstarch. Gently and quickly fold half the flour mixture into remaining egg mixture until all the flour is absorbed. Repeat process with remaining flour mixture. Fold in butter mixture to combine and transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake until golden brown and starts to shrink slightly from the sides of the pan, 20 to 30 minutes. If possible, avoid opening the oven door until cake has baked at least 30 minutes, as cake is fragile and may fall. Remove cake from oven and unmold immediately onto a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before cutting into layers and frosting with buttercream.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe appears courtesy of MarthaStewart.com.
Yield: 1 cake
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com including: