Watch a Preview
Many show stopping desserts have one thing in common. Next on Martha Bakes, three fantastic meringue based desserts—snowy-white individual pavlovas with a brightly colored orange curd filling, a stunning chocolate dacquoise cake layered with chocolate ganache and coffee buttercream, and a light-as-air tinted pretty-in-pink angel food cake.
This Week’s Recipe
Pretty-in-Pink Angel Food Cake
Make Martha Stewart's Pretty-in-Pink Angel Food Cake recipe featured in the French Meringue episode of Martha Bakes.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 3/4 cups superfine sugar
- 14 large egg whites (1 3/4 cups), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 4 drops rose gel-paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups (1 pint) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use a fine-mesh sieve to sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar 4 times.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together egg whites, water, food coloring, and 3/4 cup sugar on medium speed until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla; whisk until meringue is stiff but not dry.
- Transfer meringue to a large bowl. In six additions, sift flour mixture on top, folding in quickly but gently.
- Transfer batter to an un-greased 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom. Smooth top with an offset spatula. Run a knife through batter to release air bubbles. Bake until golden brown and springy to touch, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Invert pan on its legs or over the neck of a glass bottle, and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
Yield: one 10-inch cake
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com: