Watch a Preview
Some of Martha’s all-time favorite recipes have something in common. They’re made with nuts which lend both flavor and texture. Discover how she uses almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts, and pecans to create a traditional linzertorte, oatmeal cookies sandwiched together with a creamy peanut butter filling, and a famous walnut cake named after Saint Andrew. Plus, an impressive-looking pecan tart with a secret ingredient.
This Week’s Recipe
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- For the Peanut Butter Filling:
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, until toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Spread oat mixture onto prepared baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together remaining 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Add oat mixture and flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined. Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Cover dough with a second piece of parchment paper and roll out dough, between parchment, to 1/4 inch thick. Carefully slide rolled dough onto baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper; cut out cookies using a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until golden, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
- When cookies have cooled completely, snip end of a pastry bag and squeeze peanut butter filling in a spiral motion on bottom side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.
Yield: 12 sandwich cookies
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com:
- St. Andre Cake
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Martha’s Pecan Tart
- Hazelnut Chocolate Spread