Watch a Preview
Want to bake but don’t want to create a mess in the kitchen? Look no further than Martha’s four impressively simple one-bowl desserts: starting with brown-butter coconut cashew blondies and then…skillet baked plum cake. You’ll love the single-serving size fudgy brownie sundaes so simple; they are a must have in every baker’s repertoire. And for a savory twist, Scottish oatcakes, best served with cheese or jam.
This Week’s Recipe
Plum Skillet Cake
Adapted from: Martha Stewart Show – July 2008
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ pounds plums, halved, pitted, and sliced ¼-inch thick
- Whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch enameled cast-iron skillet or ovenproof baking dish, in the oven, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Remove skillet from oven and add melted butter to flour mixture; stir to combine. Add milk and vanilla extract; mix until well combined. Pour mixture into skillet and add plums evenly over the top, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the batter comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly on a on a wire rack. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream.
Yield: 8 servings
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com: