Watch a Preview
Today on Martha Bakes, join Martha as she makes three extraordinary press-in crust desserts, including classic cheesecake with a beautiful apricot finish and chocolate cream tart for the chocoholic in your life. Plus you won’t want to miss what makes her Atlantic beach tart so special. Just one hint…it involves crackers. There’s something for everyone!
This Week’s Recipe
Chocolate Cream Tart
Make Martha Stewart's Chocolate Cream Tart recipe from the Press-In Crusts episode of Martha Bakes.
- For the crust:
- 8 ounces chocolate wafers (35 wafers), broken into pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), chopped
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or bourbon
- For the topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Chocolate curls, for garnish
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse wafers until fine crumbs form. Add butter, sugar, and salt, and process until well combined. Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Bake until crust is fragrant, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the filling: In a medium saucepan, heat milk, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch over medium-high, whisking occasionally, until simmering. Reduce heat to medium and add chocolate. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, 4 to 5 minutes (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil). Add salt and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla or bourbon. Let cool about 10 minutes, whisking 2 or 3 times.
- Pour custard into baked and cooled crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Refrigerate until filling is firm, 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Make the topping: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk cream just until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over custard. Garnish tart with chocolate curls just before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch tart
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com: