Watch a Preview
Through experimentation with a new repertoire of ingredients, Martha transforms three vintage cake recipes with healthful updates: a classic roulade made with oat flour and fresh berry cream, a light, earthy and gluten-free chocolate buckwheat torte, and zucchini-almond cake topped with a swirl of cream cheese frosting. Cakes fit for any celebration!
This Week’s Recipe
Chocolate Buckwheat Torte
Make Martha Stewart's Chocolate Buckwheat Torte recipe from the Rethinking Cake episode of Martha Bakes.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Line with a parchment round.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt together butter and chocolate. Let cool.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. Add flour, salt, and cinnamon, and pulse to combine.
- With an electric mixer, whisk eggs and brown sugar until pale and thick, about 6 minutes. Fold in chocolate mixture, then flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until cake is puffed and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool, 10 minutes; then release sides of pan and remove. Let cake cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving. Serve with ice cream, if desired. (Torte can be kept at room temperature, covered, up to 1 day.)
Tips/TechniquesReprinted from A New Way to Bake: Classic Recipes Updated with Better-for-You Ingredients from the Modern Pantry by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2017 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Yield: Makes one 9-inch torte
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com