In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Homemade dressings far outshine any store-bought varieties, and Martha will show you how easy it is to make your own. She starts the lesson with a delicious shallot vinaigrette prepared two ways: whisked directly in the bottom of a salad bowl and shaken in a small jar. She also makes a creamy blue cheese dressing — just the thing for drizzling onto a wedge of iceberg lettuce. And did you know that you can make your own mayonnaise, too? Follow Martha’s step-by-step instructions, then use it to prepare the most delectable BLT.
Watch a Preview
Martha Stewart shows you how to make some great mayonnaise, dressing and aioli.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha Stewart explains what you can use to make your own vinaigrette.
This Week’s Recipe
BLT Sandwich with Homemade Mayonnaise
Make a classic bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with your own homemade mayonnaise.
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, toasted
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 to 2 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 to 4 basil leaves
- 2 slices thickly cut bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Spread one side of one slice of toast with butter.
- Arrange lettuce on top, along with tomato and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Top with bacon.
- Spread remaining slice of toast with mayonnaise; place mayonnaise side down to form a sandwich and cut on the diagonal. Serve immediately.
Adapted from "The Martha Stewart Show" (November 2005)
Yield: 1 sandwich
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com including: