In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Watch a Preview
The Arabian Gulf’s world-class hospitality is highlighted in this episode as Martha prepares flavor-packed favorites perfectly fit for a crowd. The menu features chicken kabsa, stuffed cabbage and spiced lamb chops, orzo risotto with wild mushrooms, and a sweet cake called kumajj.
This Week’s Recipe
Orange-Ginger Yogurt Cakes
This orange-ginger yogurt cakes recipe appears in the "Entertaining for a Crowd" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2-inch (4-centimeter) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 or 5 (1-inch-wide or 2 1/2-centimeter-wide) strips orange zest
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- Bring sugar, ginger, orange zest, and 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Set syrup and candied orange zest aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (about 190 degrees C). Thoroughly coat the six (1-cup) molds of a mini Bundt pan with vegetable spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Stir in nigella seeds just until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among molds. Bake until firm, puffed, and golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. Spoon 2 tablespoons reserved syrup over each cake; let stand for 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, invert pan onto cooling rack. Serve cakes drizzled with remaining syrup and garnish with thinly sliced candied orange zest, if desired.
Yield: Serves 6
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com.