In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
By now we all know that eating whole grains is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle, and supermarket shelves are stocked with a greater variety than ever before. Martha provides an overview of the most popular grains, including quinoa and bulgur wheat, and teaches the different cooking methods. You’ll be inspired to prepare her recipes — which can be tossed together in no time — for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Watch a Preview
Martha Stewart provides an overview of the most popular grains.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha Stewart prepares quinoa.
This Week’s Recipe
Usually served in savory side dishes, quinoa -- a high-protein seed -- also makes a wonderful hot cereal.
- 2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving
- Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.
Tips/TechniquesThis breakfast quinoa recipe appears in the "Grains" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
Yield: makes 2 cups
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com including: