Martha Stewart’s Cooking School: Pasta Episode
In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Explore the art of making fresh pasta from scratch with Martha and her friend Michael White, chef, restaurateur, and pasta specialist. You’ll learn how to make the dough and then form it into strands by hand or with a pasta machine, as well as hand-shaping dough into shapes such as farfalle and tortelli.
Watch a Preview
Explore the art of making fresh pasta from scratch with Martha and Michael White.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Tip
Use double zero flour when making pasta dough, the flour will compensate for the thickness of the pasta.
This Week’s Recipe
Make this robiola-cheese-filled ravioli recipe with Martha Stewart.
- 1 pound Robiola cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 pound basic pasta, rolled out to thinnest setting, or store-bought sheets of fresh pasta
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, parsley, egg, and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- To use filling for ravioli, place fresh pasta on a lightly floured work surface and use a sharp knife or pizza cutter and ruler to trim the pasta into 3-inch squares.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag, and pipe 2 teaspoons Robiola filling in the center of each square. Lightly brush or spray the edges of each square with water and cover with another pasta square. Press the pasta with your fingertips to seal the ball of Robiola inside, making sure to press out all of the air. Trim the edges with a zigzag pasta wheel and set on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet lightly dusted with flour or cornmeal. Continue with the remaining pasta and filling until all the squares are filled.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add ravioli and cook until they rise to the surface, 3 to 5 minutes, then cook for 1 minute longer or until the centers are cooked through and the pasta is al dente. Remove with a skimmer or slotted spoon to a large bowl. Once they are all removed, drain any water from the bowl.
This filling may be used to make a variety of filled pastas, such as agnolotti, ravioli, and tortelli.
This recipe is featured in the "Pasta" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
Yield: 4 servings
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com including: