In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
This episode is devoted to roasting, a straightforward and adaptable technique that also works well for meat, fish and chicken. Martha’s roast chicken showcases the benefits of this method, with a crisp exterior and moist interior. Because roasting so beautifully concentrates the flavors of the ingredients, it’s also well suited to vegetables, and Martha includes a recipe for a delicious roasted root vegetable salad. Finally, she prepares a show-stopping dish fit for any holiday table: a green peppercorn-crusted roast tenderloin of beef.
Watch a Preview
Martha Stewart talks about how to roast vegetables, chicken and meat.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha Stewart explains how to wash and dry your chicken and why it is important to do so.
This Week’s Recipe
This herb-roasted potatoes recipe from Martha Stewart is a delicious side dish that does not require great skill to make taste great.
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place a rimmed baking sheet on rack in oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine potatoes, olive oil, and thyme in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss until well combined.
- Remove heated baking sheet from oven and transfer potatoes to baking sheet, cut sides down.
- Roast until browned and tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
Yield: 4-6 servings