In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Watch a Preview
Looking to zest up your weeknight meal? Well look no further as Martha spices up everyday side dishes with the distinctive ingredients of the Gulf. Creamed coconut spinach, eggplant with herbs and yogurt, cauliflower salad with roasted chickpeas and za’atar smashed potatoes –these four recipes will brighten any meal!
This Week’s Recipe
Za’atar Smashed Potatoes
This smashed potatoes recipe appears in the "Side Dishes" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- For the Herb Sauce (optional):
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- For the Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) baby red potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- Make the herb sauce, if desired: In a food processor, combine cilantro, mint, pine nuts, and lime juice and zest. Process until finely chopped. With machine running, pour oil in a steady stream through the feed tube; process until smooth. Season with salt.
- Make the potatoes: Preheat oven to 450 degrees (230 degrees C). Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of salted water; reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Let cool 5 minutes, then lightly crush each potato with the heel of your hand. Drizzle generously with ghee and oil and season with salt and za’atar. Top with rosemary. Roast until golden brown and crisp, about 35 minutes. Serve with herb sauce, if desired.
Yield: Serves 4
- Creamed Coconut Spinach
- Eggplant with Herbs and Yogurt
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- Za’atar Smashed Potatoes
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com.