Spending an evening at your county or state fair is a Summertime American tradition. With the agricultural exhibits and Midway rides come a variety of nostalgic fair food like cotton candy, corn dogs, and caramel apples that we have come to know and love. Throughout the years, fair food has evolved into something a little more outrageous than your typical funnel cake.
(See some photos from a PBS Food trip to the fair here.)
Here are a few state fairs throughout the U.S. and a sampling of the wacky foods they offer. Share your favorite crazy fair concoctions in the comments section below!
- Fried Bacon Cinnamon Roll–Texas State Fair (photo courtesy Texas State Fair)
- Craz-E Burger–a bacon cheeseburger sandwiched between two halves of a glazed donut–Eastern State Exposition (photo courtesy The Big E)
- Fried Jambalaya–Texas State Fair (photo courtesy Texas State Fair)
- Rib Shack Cowboy–Iowa State Fair (photo courtesy Iowa State Fair)
- Wine Glazed Deep Fried Meatloaf–Minnesota State Fair (photo courtesy Minnesota State Fair)
- Fried Pickles n’ Chocolate–Minnesota State Fair (photo courtesy Minnesota State Fair)
- Original Cream Puff–Wisconsin State Fair (photo courtesy Wisconsin State Fair)