Treat your mom to something extra special this Sunday! This sweet breakfast bread tastes just like a giant blueberry muffin and is the perfect addition to your Mother’s Day brunch.
I love the combination of lemon and blueberry together, especially in breakfast pastries! If you want to add an extra sweet addition to this bread, you can make a simple lemon glaze for the top using a tablespoon of lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a runny glaze. Pour the glaze over top right after the bread comes out of the oven and voila!
Serve this bread with scrambled eggs and fruit. You can bake the bread a day before you plan to serve it — just store it at room temperature covered with plastic wrap.
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups blueberries (12 oz)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup plain yogurt, regular or lowfat
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder and salt. Add the blueberries and lemon zest and toss to combine.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yogurt then the dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated and being careful not to crush the blueberries.
- Scoop batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting gently onto a plate.
Yield: makes 1 loaf
Jenna Weber is half of the Fresh Tastes blog team. She graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in 2008 and, since then, has worked as a pastry chef, bread baker and freelance food editor. Currently, Jenna blogs full-time on EatLiveRun.com where her delicious daily recipes and quirky culinary musings appeal to thousands. She lives in Northern California and, when not in the kitchen, can usually be found on her yoga mat.