Plums and pluots are surprisingly flourishing at the markets and I still can’t bring myself to stop buying them. They’re my favorite late-afternoon snack and also my favorite fruit to put in a crumble.
I love a good crumble. If you dread making pie, then crumbles are for you!
They’re so easy to make, simply mix together the fruit with some sugar and additions and then top with a delicious crumble mixture. My ideal crumble topping always has walnuts in them, and in this case, some coconut, too. It adds a really nice chewiness to the filling and topping.
The thing with crumbles is that they should be eaten warm, straight out of the oven. They really should also be topped with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream that gets all melty and delicious the second it hits the warm crumble.
- 6 to 7 pluots, pit removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, plus a few more for garnish
- 1 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- To Make the Filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 8-inch baking dish (or something equivalent), add the plums, white sugar, brown sugar, coconut flakes, corn starch, vanilla extract and salt. Toss until plum are thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- To Make the Crumble Topping: To a medium bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour,white granulated sugar, chopped walnuts and melted butter. Using a spoon, mix the mixture until clumpy and everything is coated in butter. Pour the crumble atop the filling and spread it out evenly. Transfer it to the oven to bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crumble is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.