The other day, as people were telling me about the polar vortex, I was day-dreaming about summer. I was thinking about watermelon and fireworks and s’mores. I also thought about my favorite bbq side dish: pasta salad. I realized something amazing: I don’t have to wait for summer to have pasta salad. We can do whatever we want! So, let’s have it right now!
This is a winter-inspired pasta salad. There’s hearty lettuces such as raddichio and lacinato kale which actually hold up really nicely with the pasta. The artichoke hearts and olives are canned; they’re pantry staples for me, making this dish something that doesn’t lean on fresh summer vegetables. It’s a celebration of hibernation and carbs!
Wintery Pasta Salad
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound pasta, of choice
- 1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 leaves of lacinato kale
- 1 small head of raddichio
- 1 (14-ounce) can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can of green, pitted olives, drained and sliced
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ounce of Parmesan-Reggiano, finely grated
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package’s instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, a bunch of rounds of black pepper, crushed red pepper, oregano and a few liberal pinches of salt. Give the dressing a taste and adjust the salt according to taste. Add the kale and mix, massaging the kale in order to make it slightly softer.
- Next, add the radicchio, artichoke hearts, olives, red onion, Parmesan and reserved pasta. Toss until combined. Adjust the salt to taste. Serve.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.