Now that we’ve entered the season where we grill everything, it’s time to share one of my favorite healthy dinners: Grilled Veggie Sandwiches. I’m a big fan grilling vegetables and all vegetables; I think I like it even more than roasting vegetables, which I love a million times more than boiled vegetables. I remember going to friends’ houses growing up and having to force down overcooked boiled vegetables to “be nice.” It wasn’t my favorite moments. I was lucky in that my mom was really into steaming vegetables and during the summer months, she grilled them.
This sandwich takes a total of 15 minutes to throw together, homemade hummus and all. Of course, you can swap out the hummus for something else like a tapenade or aioli. I think it adds a nice fresh flavor to the sandwich. The simple olive oil, ground cumin and coriander mixture that is rubbed on the vegetables is my absolute favorite. It keeps the sandwich interesting, while still not making it overly complicated. It’s a simple dinner, but one I’d be happy with eating night after night.
Grilled Veggie Sandwich
- Quick Hummus:
- 1 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Grilled Vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini, sliced horizontally
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 yellow squash, sliced horizontally
- 8 slices of bread, toasted
- In a blender, add the garbanzo beans, olive oil, tahini, juice from 1/2 lemon and a pinch of salt. Pulse until smooth, adding a splash of water, if needed. Adjust the salt to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Spray the grill or grill pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl. whisk together the olive oil, ground cumin, ground coriander and salt. Transfer the vegetables to the grill, cooking on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, taking in mind that the red bell pepper will take longer to cook than the other vegetables. Remove the vegetables and immediately brush them with the olive oil spice mixture.
- To assemble the sandwiches, smear a tablespoon of hummus to each bread slice. Arrange a few zucchini slices, red bell pepper, onion and yellow squash to each half of bread; top with opposite slice of bread. Repeat the sandwich-making process with the remaining bread and vegetables.
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.