Celery is all the craze right now. Not sure if you’ve heard but people are juicing celery every single morning! It’s wild. I’ll admit that I tried it for a while and felt no different haha. It didn’t “cure” me of anything but I didn’t really care because I love the way celery juice tastes. I think I fell in love with celery way back in the day during snack time in 1st grade. Ants on a log will always have a special place in my heart!
I love to make salads centered around celery. It’s crisp, delicious and (bonus!) inexpensive. Whenever we’re in between seasons I always find it hard to make salads. And this combination really makes it simple. I combined pieces of celery with apple cubes, toasted almonds and a simple vinaigrette. My favorite part of this recipe is the crunchy, toasted slivered almonds that are covered in rich olive oil and tons of lemon juice. They’re so good!
Hope you enjoy the salad.
Celery and Apple Salad
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 5 ribs of celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 apple, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 boiled eggs, peeled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, spread out the almonds. Transfer to the oven to toast for about 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Immediately transfer to a large bowl and add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oil and a few pinches of salt; toss until combined.
- Next, add the celery, apple, Parmesan cheese, a few rounds of freshly ground pepper and diced egg. Gently toss together until combined. Give it a taste and adjust the salt or pepper to your liking. Top with a few shavings of Parmesan.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.