I think appetizers are the most underrated food item of the holiday season. It’s all about cookies and cakes and prime rib. But what are you supposed to eat in between all of those items? Appetizers! I love stuffed mushrooms. They’re so delicious and couldn’t be easier to throw together at a moments notice. These are a creamier variety thanks to the mascarpone cheese that’s mixed with the lemon zest, garlic cloves, and Gruyere cheese.
I like to assemble these ahead of time, stick them in the fridge and bake them off right when people are about to arrive. They’ll be nice and warm and cheesy for your guests and they’ll be the first to be gone—promise!
Crispy Mascarpone Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated with the microplane
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 24 oz crimini mushrooms, stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the mascarpone cheese, lemon zest, garlic, red pepper flakes, Gruyere cheese, a pinch of salt and a few rounds of freshly ground pepper.
- In another small bowl, mix together 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the Panko bread crumbs. Brush the remaining olive oil (1 tablespoon) on a baking sheet. Flip over the mushrooms and fill the caps with the cheesy mixture. Transfer to a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with the Panko mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.