Later this year it will have been 9 years since I moved to Los Angeles. NINE YEARS! Remarkable…and also so so scary that time has moved that quickly. Before I moved to LA, my dad warned me, “You can lose a decade with a blink of an eye.” He was right. Time has flown. Life is so busy here, perhaps too busy.
When I first moved to LA, I loved going out on the eastside of town. All the cool bars were there. And every single time I’d exit a bar, the smell of tacos, onions on a griddle and bacon wrapped hot dogs were in the air. The smell is intoxicating..especially after a few drinks.
I wanted to recreate what I like to think of as an LA hot dog. It’s usually wrapped in bacon (I skipped that part but feel free to wrap ‘em!) and it’s topped with charred jalapeños, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and lots of onions. I flavor the mixture just as good measure.
With Summer right around the corner, I figured it’d be a good time to share this sort of non recipe.
If you’ve never been to LA, it’ll be a good nudge that you may need to visit.
LA Hot Dogs
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 pieces of thinly sliced bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 6 soft white hot dog buns
- Tightly wrap each hot dog with one slice of bacon. Set aside.
- Turn your grill to medium. Place the peppers on the grill and cook until charred on each side, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, bell peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook fro 5 to 7 minutes until softened.
- Place the bacon-wrapped hot dogs over medium high heat until charred and heated through, 6 to 8 minutes, being sure to cook the bacon on all four sides. Heat hot dog buns on the grill too, if you like (I personally like them only slightly warmed). Insert the hot dogs into the hot dog buns and top each one with liberal amount of onions and pepper mixture.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.