Every single autumn I pressure people to buy delicata squash. It’s my favorite of all squash because it’s only a little bit sweet and the best part? You don’t have to peel it. Have you ever tried to halve a butternut squash? Or a huge pumpkin? Not always the easiest! I was recently gifted a huge Japanese clever and it’s come in handy this season because it makes halving big squashes in half a breeze. But it’s not necessary than delicata.
The peel is thin and delicious and really doesn’t need that extra step. It’s glorious. While I love fall and all its cozy foods, I sometimes crave things on the lighter side. Whenever I’m in need of a lighter dinner, I always make it vegetarian. These delicata squash tacos are SO good. I honestly could eat this squash all on its own because the spices just make it delicious.
The delicata squash cooks so quickly because it’s cubed and sauteed. The spices add such nice warmth and flavor. Serve it up with whatever your heart desires!
Delicata Squash Tacos
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil
- 2 delicata squash, trimmed, halved, seeds removed and cubed
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Tortillas, for serving
- Sliced radishes, as garnish
- Crumbled cotija, as garnish
- In a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add the oil. When warm, add the cubed squash and cook until softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spices to the squash, along with two tablespoons of water. Toss until combined. Cook for an additional minute or two, just until the water evaporates. Salt to taste.
- Spoon into warm tortillas and garnish with radishes and cotija.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.