If you ever want to feel French and chic, I suggest putting on a Breton shirt, grabbing a French baguette, some breakfast radishes and eating them with a pat of butter and some flaky sea salt. This type of snack is at the top of my favorite to-snack-on list. I’m not sure there’s anything more delightful and simple. It’s the type of snack you imagine you’d eat if you lived in a French New Wave film.
Roasting radishes hadn’t even crossed my mind until my boyfriend one day stuck them in the oven and out came these magical, spicy vegetables that were perfect and tasty. Radishes are glorious in their raw state but even more magical when roasted at a high temperature.
They’re the perfect addition to an otherwise super simple salad. This is a spring salad! There’s lemon dressing, a few boiled eggs and some peppery arugula. I added a bit of small-diced avocado for a creamy factor. It’s a salad that works best as a side salad, perhaps served with a lemon roast chicken.
Roasted Radish Salad
- 1 small batch of breakfast radishes, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, boiled and quartered
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the radishes in a small baking dish and toss them with a tablespoon of olive oil and a few pinches of salt. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- To a large bowl, add the arugula and radishes and toss with the lemon vinaigrette, until thoroughly coated. Transfer to a serving plate; place the diced avocado on top and arrange the sliced boiled eggs around the salad. Serve as a side salad or as a main course.
Yield: Serves 4 as a side salad; Serves 2 as a main course
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.