I’m not what you’d consider a “guac and margs” girl. I usually opt for a dark beer with my Mexican food and margaritas tend to be too tart for my taste. Also, when it comes to crafted cocktails. I tend to lean towards dark spirits like bourbon and dark rum, and generally steer clear of tequila-anything (there was a bad experience in college that left me sick for days). College, man. But when I saw these beautifully bright satsumas at the market, I figured I’d give it another go on the ol’ margarita-quest.
If you’d never had a satsuma orange (also known as citrus unshiu), you’re in for a treat! I absolutely loooove them. They’re more like a tangerine than an orange, I’d say. The flesh is rough and somewhat loose, making it the perfect kind of orange to peel and eat. Also, they’re seedless–how magical is that! I’d categorize them as more sweet than tart, which I think makes them a perfect candidate to mix with some tequila.
The highlight of any margarita for me is a salted rim. In this case, I added a bit of sugar and orange zest to the salt to give it a bit more flavor. It’s fragrant–and who doesn’t love salty combined with a bit of sweet!
And since the orange juice tends to be on the sweeter side, I added a bit of lime juice to add just a hint of tartness. It’s a nice little balancing act, I think. I love this margarita. I hope you to too–it’s definitely a good fun and festive cocktail for the holiday season.
Satsuma Orange Margarita
- For the Glass Rim:
- 1 teaspoon satsuma orange zest
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- For the Drink:
- 6 fluid ounces tequila of choice
- 4 fluid ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 16 fluid ounces satsuma orange juice (from about 12 oranges)
- 4 fluid ounces Cointreu or triple sec
- On a small plate, mix together the orange zest, granulated sugar and salt. Rub a juiced lime around each of the glasses' rims and dip them into the sugar/salt mixture.
- To make one cocktail, add a few ice cubes to a glass. Pour in 1 1/2 fluid ounces of tequila, 1 fluid ounce of lime juice, 4 fluid ounces satsuma orange juice and 1 fluid of Cointreu or triple sec; stir to combine. Repeat with the remaining cocktails. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 cocktails
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.