The last stretch of summer is always the hardest for me. I want nothing more than a bit of a break from the scorching temperatures and blazing sun. Yet I’m not craving fall and winter foods yet. I’m just in search for a bit of a relief from the weather. This usually involves eating cold appetizers for dinner. It’s like grazing and I’m really into it when the temperatures heat up.
This smoked trout dip is the perfect thing. Every ingredient plays a small yet important role. The pickle adds a bit of crunch and flavor. The lemon and zest give off a lovely brightness. The mayonnaise and cream cheese give a creaminess that works really well with the trout’s briny flavor, while the hot sauce and and black pepper provide a nice kick.
I like to smother it on a butter cracker. But really pairing it with slices of radishes or celery or carrots would also be delicious.
Smoked Trout Dip
- .5 ounces smoked trout
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, plus more as garnish
- 2 green onions, white and pale green parts only, sliced
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 5 turns of freshly cracked pepper
- 1 small pickle, diced
- Splash of hot sauce
- Butter crackers, for serving
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the paddle attachment, add the smoked trout, cream cheese, mayonnaise, fresh dill, green onions, lemon juice and zest, black pepper, diced pickle and hot sauce.
- Turn the mixer on low and mix until completely combined. Alternatively, you could add everything to a medium bowl and mash everything up using a fork.
- Transfer to the fridge to chill for 1 hour. Serve alongside crackers.
Yield: 3/4 cup
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.