Are you traveling anywhere cool this summer? I don’t have any summer trip plans coming up but I really have dreams about the Amalfi coast. Oh and Greece. When I take breaks during the day, I’ll often times jump on Instagram and just stare at photos of Santorini. I love the colors: blue and white. I also love the green and blue ocean and steep cliffside views.
I want to go and live in a summer hat and eat fresh cheese topped with olive oil and crispy cucumbers by the ocean.
BUT, I’m probably not going to go on a summer trip at all this summer. And if I do, it’s definitely NOT going to be to Greece, unfortunately. Maybe next year! I can hope! So I’m trying to make that flavor come to me…and adding carbs. This pasta salad (my favorite category of “salad”) has all those fresh flavors in it and it’s great for a bbq or to make ahead.
And since it isn’t mayo-based, it pleases a lot of mayo-hating people. It also makes it a super light and refreshing pasta salad, which is a-ok with me.
Greek Pasta Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pasta Fixings:
- 1 pound pasta of choice (I used orecchiette)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup cubed or crumbed feta cheese
- To Make the Dressing: Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, juice from 1 lemon, oregano, black pepper and a few pinches of salt to a bowl. Whisk together until it emulsifies and is properly combined. Give it a taste and add more salt if you like (I added about 1/2 teaspoon more)
- To Make the Pasta Fixings: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook per the instructions on the package, or until al dente. Drain and run under cold water. (I normally would never run my pasta under cold water but I do this for pasta salad only.) Return back to the pot and drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and toss. The oil will help the pasta from sticking as it cools.
- To a medium bowl, add the olive oil, green olives, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and feta cheese, reserved cold pasta and salad dressing. Toss together until evenly coated. Give it a taste and adjust the salt as needed. Make sure to get a bite with the cheese because that helps with the saltiness in this dish. Serve. This is a great thing to make ahead for a party or bbq. I would add all of the ingredients to the bowl and add the dressing just before serving.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.