Sheet pans are my favorite weeknight meals. They’re quick and easy and if you’re smart, they include everything on them. This one in particular, has become a new favorite for me because it’s flavorful and really simple on busy nights.
It begins with a marinade. There’s no need to do this ahead, it’s simple enough to throw together on the spot and bake it up. The potato slices and red onion all cook right at the same time as the chicken. The trick is to choose components that cook at the same time. These slices of potato and chicken are all cooked at the end.
I topped it with an avocado salsa that’s SO good. It’s more chunky than guacamole, hence the reason why I didn’t call it that. Instead of mashing it up, I diced it and gently mixed it with the red onion and lime juice and cilantro. After it came out of the oven, I added the avocado and boom—dinner in about 30 minutes.
Sheet Pan Chicken for Two with Avocado Salsa
- Marinade + Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in/skin-on chicken (I used a package of drumsticks)
- 1 russet potato, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- Avocado Salsa:
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- To Make the Marinade: To a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes. Next, add the chicken, potato slices and red onion. Toss together until evenly coated. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet and transfer to the oven to bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is crispy and potatoes are cooked through.
- To Make the Avocado Salsa: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the diced avocado, red onion, lime juice, cilantro and a few pinches of salt. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- Add the avocado to the top of the chicken and serve.
Yield: 2 servings
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.