This is me saying goodbye to winter…sorta. The Northeast (and Northwest) is still feeling so chilly and cold and winter-y. I’m headed to Chicago and Detroit next week and as I gazed down at the weather report on my phone, the temperatures are still very winter-like! I figured we all probably need something chocolate-y and warm and maybe a little boozy, too, because winter seems like it’s not ending any time soon.
A few years ago, I still made my hot chocolate with whole milk but now I’m pretty much strictly almond milk or coconut milk. (I LOVE the thickness that coconut milk provides.)
The older I get, the more and more I steer clear of drinking dairy. (I will never give up butter in my baked goods.) Almond milk is now my flavor preference, too. I like the nutty flavor and thin viscosity. The chocolate definitely thickens it up a bit. And the bourbon works so nicely with the chocolate. It makes me want to make a bourbon and chocolate cake ASAP. Maybe that’ll be my next recipe on here!
Bourbon Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, melted + a teaspoon of grated chocolate for garnish
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces bourbon (or more if you like!)
- Whipped cream, for topping
- In a medium saucepan, set over medium low heat, add the milk, sugar, vanilla extract, melted chocolate and salt. Whisk until warmed and the chocolate dissolves completely.
- Lastly, mix in the bourbon and give it a try. Add more bourbon if you like! Divide amongst mugs and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: Serves 2
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.