Most mornings my home is a bit chaotic as everyone tries to get ready for school; I’m busy making sure this happens! Even when I try to wake everyone up a little earlier so we’re not as rushed, we always seem to barely arrive at school on time. Heavy on my mind as we are trying to get out of the house is making sure my kids have had breakfast.
Even when I set out cereal and milk on the table, my girls often run out of time to sit down and eat. If they haven’t had breakfast about five minutes before we have to leave I will start making my go to protein packed breakfast – egg muffin sandwiches.
These sandwiches are easy to prepare and can be made in under 2 minutes (really!!). My girls and I love them! They are similar to the ones you would normally buy at McDonalds or Starbucks except these are more healthier and a fraction of the cost.
My secret weapon for making them so quickly is the microwave. You can cook a perfectly soft scrambled egg disk in 40 seconds. Earlier in the week I filmed my first cooking tutorial on how I make these sandwiches so you can get a good idea on how to prepare these savory and healthy breakfast egg muffins for your own family. Once you make one, you’ll wonder why you haven’t made it this way before. And you’ll also love the fact that there is very little clean up. Enjoy!
**As a side note regarding the video, you’ll notice it looks like I used a ton of salt. I just want you to know that my husband filled our salt shaker with kosher salt which does not pour out of our shaker very well. In fact, you have to shake it like crazy for small trace amounts of salt to come out.
Got a favorite grab and go breakfast idea? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Egg Muffin Sandwiches
A quick and easy egg muffin sandwich recipe for delicious breakfast on the go!
- 1 whole wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheese (your choice of cheese)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- other optional ingredients: spinach, tomato slices, Canadian bacon, ham, sausage, and regular or turkey bacon
- Crack an egg into a microwave-safe container which is similar in size to the English muffin - coffee mugs work great. Add water and beat the egg until well mixed. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the egg mixture.
- Place container in the microwave and cook for 35-40 seconds until all the liquid is cooked off.
- While the egg is cooking, spread mayonnaise on each half of the English muffin as well as Dijon mustard to one side. When the egg is ready, place it on top of the bread and top it off with the other half of the bread. The egg will be hot so be careful not to bite into it too quickly. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 4 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Minute
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Alice Currah is the publisher of popular food blog, Savory Sweet Life. Her approachable everyday recipes are accompanied by beautiful step by step photos and have been featured online at Martha Stewart, Real Simple, The Pioneer Woman, Epicurious, Bon Appetit, Saveur, iVillage and many more. In March 2010, Forbes.com featured Alice as one of “Eight of the Very Best Food Bloggers.” You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.