Although some people believe the popularity of cupcakes is on the decline, I beg to differ. As long as there are birthdays to be celebrated there will always be cupcakes.
If decorating cupcakes at home seems intimidating, this tutorial on how to decorate Cookie Monster cupcakes will show you just how easy it is to make one of Sesame Street’s most beloved characters come to life in cupcake form. Best of all, kids will love decorating these cupcakes as much as they do eating them. Using ingredients and supplies you likely have in your home, these cupcakes are perfect for your child’s next birthday party or for when they feel like flexing their decorating skills.
Pipe enough frosting to cover the surface of each cupcake.
Dip each cupcake top into the shredded coconut until fully coated.
To make the eyes, poke a hole into each cut marshmallow and push a chocolate chip into it, pointed side down.
Place two eyes side by side towards the center top of each cupcake.
Finish the cupcake off by adding a cooking to the center bottom half by laying it down flat or at a 45 degree angle.
Cookie Monster Cupcakes
A photo step-by-step tutorial on how to decorate Cookie Monster cupcakes.
- 2 cups buttercream frosting (Savory Sweet Life recipe here)
- Blue food coloring
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 large puff marshmallows cut in half with kitchen scissors to form the eyes
- 24 chocolate chips
- 1 dozen unfrosted cupcakes
- 6 chocolate chip cookies cut in half
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the frosting. Mix the frosting until the color is uniformly blended in.
- Add the shredded coconut to a zip top bag. Add a few drops of food coloring to the coconut and seal the bag. Shake the coconut until uniformly tinted. Add more drops if needed until desired color is achieved. Transfer the tinted coconut to a bowl.
- Using a tooth pick or pointed chop stick, poke a hole through each marshmallow off center and closer to the edge. With its tip pointed down, push one chocolate chip down deep into the non-sticky flat side of the marshmallow to form the pupil. Repeat this with each chocolate chip and marshmallow.
- To frost the cupcake, place a cup of frosting into medium large zip-top bag. Seal the bag and cut one of the bottom corners off. Pipe enough frosting (2-3 tablespoons) in a circular motion to cover the surface of the cupcake. You can also frost each cupcake using a butter knife.
- Dip the cupcake tops into the shredded coconut until fully coated.
- Place two marshmallow eyes side by side towards the top of each cupcake.
- Finish the cupcakes off by placing a half cookie either flat or at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom of the cupcake to complete the famous Cookie Monster look.
Alice Currah is the publisher of popular food blog, Savory Sweet Life. Her approachable everyday recipes are accompanied by beautiful step by step photos and have been featured online at Martha Stewart, Real Simple, The Pioneer Woman, Epicurious, Bon Appetit, Saveur, iVillage and many more. In March 2010, Forbes.com featured Alice as one of “Eight of the Very Best Food Bloggers.” You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.