Serving new and creative variations of roasted chicken breasts must pass the Abbi, Mimi, and Eli test in order for me to add it into my regular rotation of meals. My children are hard to please eaters, and they know and accept this without apology. I don’t get nervous serving them new dishes but am always pleasantly relieved when the three of them love what is being served and ask for seconds.
Today’s recipe passed the three thumbs up test with flying colors. The lemon, thyme salted chicken is good on its own but when the chicken is sliced up and served on a bed of pasta with a savory lemon sauce, not only does the meal become a hit, I get the satisfaction of relishing in the victory of winning over, not one but three, picky eaters. This meal also makes great leftovers the next day. Personally I like to reheat my pasta just until barely warm and add fresh torn pieces of basil and cherry tomatoes making it a completely different meal. Anytime I can make two meals from the effort of one is a great day in the Currah house, and I hope yours too.
Lemon Thyme Roasted Chicken over Pasta
A flavorful lemon thyme roasted chicken pasta dish featuring lemon and fresh herbs over a bed of pasta.
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce,
- 2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta cooked al dente and according to the package directions.
- Fresh thyme sprigs as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl mix the thyme, zest, salt and pepper.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken breasts on the baking sheet and evenly brush both sides with olive oil.
- Season both sides of chicken with the lemon seasoning.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 30-40 minutes until done. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the chicken.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- As the chicken rests, prepare the lemon sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan cook the butter and garlic on medium or one minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add all but ½ cup of stock to the pan. With the remaining stock, mix in the cornstarch until it has dissolved, then add it to the pan as well.
- Add the apple sauce, bouillon cubes, and lemon juice to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and blend for 20 seconds until the sauce is smooth
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour enough sauce over the chicken to generously each piece.
- Reserve the remaining sauce to be poured over the pasta.
- Top each dish of pasta off with sliced chicken and an optional sprig of fresh thyme for garnish.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Alice Currah is the publisher of popular food blog, Savory Sweet Life. Her approachable everyday recipes are accompanied by beautiful step by step photos and have been featured online at Martha Stewart, Real Simple, The Pioneer Woman, Epicurious, Bon Appetit, Saveur, iVillage and many more. In March 2010, Forbes.com featured Alice as one of “Eight of the Very Best Food Bloggers.” You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.