Get the Adobo recipe featured in Family Ingredients on PBS.
- 2 lbs. pork belly, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 large red onion, cut in wedges
- 1/3 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet on medium high heat.
- Add oil and allow to come to temperature.
- Add pork belly, cooking until pieces are brown and beginning to crisp.
- Add garlic, red onion, shoyu, vinegar, and water. Simmer on medium and add bay leaves and black peppercorns.
- Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until pork belly is tender and the sauce has reduced by one third. Serve with rice.